Tonight is the first in a 3-part series of fascinating talks by the geek elite exploring cars, technology and the future city. Curated by The Wire for The Filling Station, Kings Cross’s newest temporary restaurant and super-sleek sci-fi events space designed by Carmody & Groarke.
10th - 12th July 2012, 7pm
The King's Cross Filling Station, Goods Way, N1C 4UR
Visit www.kxfs.co.uk to register for tickets
Drinks and pizza are on sale at KXFS every day from 12pm-10pm
Tuesday 10th July - Motor Culture
Debating heavyweights Intelligence Squared – who have previously hosted such celebrated speakers as Stephen Fry, Christopher Hitchens, Gore Vidal and Germaine Greer amongst others – will present Motor Culture a discussion on the past and future of mobility.
· Luke Wright – Poet, speaks about the poet's journey across Britain’s service stations
· Steven Bayley - author, critic, columnist, consultant, broadcaster, debater and curator. Debates on the line - “I want that line to have a duflunky, to come across, have a little hook in it, and then do a rashoom or zong” – which is a quote from Harley Earl, the person who invented car styling at General Motors.
· Geoff Dyer - Author and Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature speaks about the Filling Station and its significance
· Dr Michael Jump - Aerospace Engineer and lecturer at the University of Liverpool will look at the possibilities for the future of the car including the creation of a flying car
Wednesday 11th July - Four Things You Need to Know for the Future
Wired magazine offer Four Things You Need to Know for the Future with four forward thinkers as a guide to technological innovations that everyone should understand, in a night hosted by Wired culture editor Tom Cheshire.
· J. Paul Neeley - Founder of search engine Yossarian Lives which is changing the way we access information through metaphorical searching
· Michael Breidenbrücker - Founder of RjDj, an app that makes music on your iphone react to the environment
· Jenny Rohn - Cell Biologist who’s research includes manipulating cell shape through genetics for medical research against tumours
Thursday 12th July - The New City
Architecture and design magazine Wallpaper will curate a line-up on The New City, with pioneering ideas that are changing the way we live and build. A line up of four speakers offer ideas at the forefront of architecture and urbanism.
· Joe Morris, director Duggan Morris Architects
· Patrick Lynch, director Lynch Architects
· David Liddicoat & Sophie Goldhill, Liddicoat & Goldhill Architects
· Nick Searl, senior projects director, Argent Group